MSU Information Technology offers network consulting, engineering, and installation services for MSU departments and units on and off campus. Network services include wired and wireless network design and installation.
Departments may request changes and additions to wired or wireless networking service. Departmental wireless networks are various custom wireless networks for university needs across campus. These are limited to MSU IT deployment in specific areas for specific purposes in collaboration with MSU departments.
The primary MSU wired and Wi-Fi network is available across campus and is accessed by those with MSU NetIDs. This network requires DHCP registration of the system with the network and MSU NetID login. The MSUnet Wireless Guest network is intended for use by visitors and users without an MSU NetID.
MSU IT will consult on current campus network options and discuss of possible solutions to meet departments’ varying needs.
The MSU Wired service for departments includes:
- Preliminary project scope determination
- Requirement gathering
- VLAN provisions for requests with minimal complexity
The MSU Wi-Fi service for departments includes:
- Pre-install design and site survey (depending on scale of the request)
- 802.11 a/g/n coverage
- 802.11ac coverage in limited existing and all new installations
- Access Point (AP) installation and support
- Network and switch infrastructure to support the AP
- Cabling to the AP
- Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- Post install walk through to verify coverage
- Monitoring, maintenance, and support of the wireless service
For custom department wireless installations, MSU IT will work with the department to establish the requirement for a their wireless network and the following options:
- Encryption on the wireless network
- Authentication of users
- Connectivity to a new or existing VLAN
- Refresh of a Hospitality Model AP
- Refresh of an Enterprise Model AP
- Refresh of an Outdoor Model AP
To learn about pricing plans and rates, select “Network Design Services” on the request form.
Current pricing will be provided with the estimate for initial deployment.
Pricing is reviewed annually and subject to change. Charges can be billed annually or monthly at the department’s request.
This service is supported 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year with regularly scheduled maintenance periods.
Service requests are acknowledged within 48 hours. When a request is made, an expected fulfillment date is provided and sent to the individual requesting the service.
Additionally, MSU IT offers service level agreements (SLAs) to departments and customers.
MSUnet wireless access points and related network components are property of MSU IT and not the department that funds their initial installation. Once installed they will remain as part of the building infrastructure even if the initial requesting and funding department or college moves from that space.