Data Management includes Data Stewardship for data profiling and reviews and ways to access the Data Warehouse of MSU’s central data repositories.
Data Management provides faculty, researchers, and staff with access to reporting data and to specialists to review data cleanliness and quality. The latest industry tools are used to help standardize and normalize enterprise data across the university. This service ensures data integrity for research and reporting.
Confidential Data Profiling
Data profiling looks at similarities with the data as a percentage of the total. It includes a review of data type, duplication, null values, and more.
This service also can help identify and report use of sensitive data such as social security numbers. Additionally, we can with plans to address and securely use sensitive data to ensure the information is accessed securely.
Data Quality Reviews
Data quality reviews involve an in-depth assessment along with a component to cleanse the data to ensure data quality. Using the same format for similar fields is important to ensure data accuracy. Recommendations on how to scrub the data are provided after the review.
For example, the following could all be listed in a state field:
The MSU Enterprise Data Warehouse (MSUEDW) is comprised of the university’s central data repositories. Our analysts can help set up ways the MSUEDW can be directly accessed, queried, and analyzed to fit your business and college needs.
Human Resource, Finance, Organizational, Student, Research Administration, and other university data are housed in this secured environment.
Access to the MSUEDW
A request for access to the data must be completed and approved.
- For student data: Complete the Student Access Request Memorandum form (MSUEDW-SIS ARM PDF).
- For Kuali Coeus Research Administration data: Complete the Research Administration Access Request Memorandum form (MSUEDW-KCRA ARM PDF).
- For other data in the MSUEDW: Complete the standard Access Request Memorandum form (MSUEDW ARM PDF).
Add data to the MSUEDW
Colleges and units can also add data to the warehouse to help share information across the university or with other department partners.
Sharing data through the MSUEDW can:
- Insulate the application from other applications written against that data.
- Reduce the overhead of a separate interface or application.
- Link to other applications and data streams that are part of MSUEDW.