MSU IT Web Hosting offers MSU units and MSU-affiliated organizations the ability to put their websites online with an approved domain name of their choice. MSU IT manages the web hosting account setup and routine system tasks.
Customers manage their website content and/or application code while MSU IT manages daily system administration (including nightly backups), monthly log file rotation, and server upgrades.
Two environments are available to meet specific customer needs:
Web Hosting (UNIX Environment)
This web hosting option sets a website up as a virtual host on a MSU IT server in the Computer Center Data Center. Most websites use this option to host websites using content management systems such as Cascade, WordPress, or Drupal.
Web hosting includes:
- CPanel administrative interface
- 2 GB storage on a LAMP stack server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
- Option to protect all or part of your site with MSU NetID/password authentication using Shibboleth authentication
- SFTP access via SSH or other SFTP clients
- CGI scripting with PHP and PERL
- Option to secure your site with SSL
Please note that F5 Load balancer services are not available on the web hosting (UNIX Environment).
$10 per month, plus the initial $50 setup fee. Additional storage is $8.64/GB per year.
Public Web Server (Windows Environment)
Public Web Server provides Windows server environment where units can develop and run their HTML/ASP/SQL Server applications within a shared environment.
Being part of a shared environment means many applications by other MSU units are running on the same server. It is recommended units don’t run university mission critical applications in this shared environment.
The Public Web Server Microsoft environment includes Microsoft IIS, ASP/HTML, Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access (SQL recommended), SQL Server deployment/management desktop, and JMail.
Public web server includes:
- Microsoft SQL Server database creation
- User account creation and permissions
- Setup of primary application owners as database owner
- Web security application (D6501 Web Security System) for authenticating users NetID and password
- Use of additional identity information (SSN, ZPID, APID, Name) about logged in users
- Way to authorize users to different components of your application validating access via D6501 API calls
No monthly charge if under 100MB, though there is an initial $100 setup fee. Additional storage is $10/100MB per month over the initial 100MB.