Getting connected to the Internet
Check out Getting Online for more information about the MSU Network, device registration, and wireless.
There’s also New Student information about connecting in residence halls.
Email & Office applications
Download Office Pro Plus applications: Once logged into Spartan Mail, click on “Office 365” in the top left and then click the “Install now” button.
MSU offers collaborative tools that allow you to save your work securely in the cloud, work on coursework wherever you have an Internet connection, and collaborate with your cohort simultaneously anywhere in the world.
Store and share media and video files using MSU Kaltura MediaSpace.
Use MSU Qualtrics for creating and sending surveys related to coursework.
Learning management systems
MSU faculty and instructors may use different learning management systems or course management systems for coursework and course materials.
D2L help and getting started information is available on the D2L Help site.
Printing is also available in many computer lab locations. Read more about printing options.
Computer labs & classrooms
MSU computer labs offer computers with a wide range of specialty software that is available for your use.
There are more than 60 computer labs and close to 260 technology classrooms across campus used by students, faculty, and staff. (See the list of locations and hours.)
SecureIT safe computing tips
SecureIT offers information and tips for keeping your personal information and computer safe.
Passwords & phishing
- Create strong passwords and don’t share them with anyone, including your parents.
- Learn more about strong passwords.
- Don’t respond to emails asking for your password and NetID or account information.
- Learn more about what to look for in a phishing email.
- Report phishing attempts to alert MSU to potential widespread phishing.
- Learn more about how to report a phishing incident.
File sharing & copyright
- Uninstall file sharing programs to prevent viruses.
- Learn more about pirating and illegal file sharing risks.
- Use free or paid media services for music, movies, and other copyrighted materials.
- Learn more about legal alternatives.
- Password protect wireless access points to prevent file sharing on a connection that you are responsible for.