Getting connected to the Internet
Check out Getting Online for more information about the MSU Network, device registration, and wireless.
There’s also New Student information about connecting in residence halls.
Graduate students use MSU Email at mail.msu.edu. There is a plan to migrate remaining students to Spartan Mail.
Undergraduate students on Spartan Mail can download Microsoft Office software through MSU’s Microsoft site license agreement.
- Log into spartanmail.msu.edu with your NetID and password.
- Click on “Office 365” in the top left.
- Click the “Install now” button.
When no longer a student, Microsoft Office software will be available for purchase from Microsoft.
MSU Print is the centrally supported printing solution for MSU students, faculty, staff, and departments. Students can send prints jobs via print.msu.edu to printers across campus. Printing is also available in many computer lab locations.
Read more about printing options.
Computer labs & classrooms
There are more than 60 computer labs and close to 260 technology classrooms across campus used by students, faculty, and staff. (See the list of locations and hours.)
Computer labs include Windows and Macintosh systems, laser printers, a variety of current software, and high-speed connections to the Internet. (See the list of software applications available in computer labs.)
Read more about:
SecureIT safe computing tips
SecureIT offers information and tips for keeping your personal information and computer safe.
Passwords & phishing
- Create strong passwords and don’t share them with anyone, including your parents.
Learn more about strong passwords.
- Don’t respond to emails asking for your password and NetID or account information.
Learn more about what to look for in a phishing email.
- Report phishing attempts to alert MSU to potential widespread phishing.
Learn more about how to report a phishing incident.
File sharing & copyright
- Uninstall file sharing programs to prevent viruses.
Learn more about pirating and illegal file sharing risks.
- Use free or paid media services for music, movies, and other copyrighted materials.
Learn more about legal alternatives.
- Password protect wireless access points to prevent prevent file sharing on a connection that you are responsible for.
Changing or restricting directory information
MSU publishes contact information online (name, address, phone number, and email address) for people and groups affiliated with MSU who are assigned an MSU NetID. Personal contact and business contact information are both published by default. Follow these steps to change or redistrict your information published in MSU People Search.