Cable television service is included in the room and board rate for students living in residence halls or university apartments.
For instructions on setting up your cable TV at MSU, view the “how to hook up your television” section below.
View the channel listing current cable lineup.
You may choose to subscribe to additional pay services offered directly by Comcast. These currently include premium channels and a DVR recorder. More information is available on the Comcast service upgrade page.
Equipment you need
Students need to bring a digital-cable ready TV (manufactured in 2008 or newer) and coax cable to hook up their set.
Coax cable requirements:
- Purchase an RG-6 rated, quad-shielded cable with screw-on connectors to prevent radio frequency leakage and meet MSU requirements. Coax cables can be purchased on campus at Sparty’s Convenience Stores. Purchase a minimum of 12 foot in length. See detailed tips for buying your coax cable.
How to hook up your television
- Connect the coax cables from your digital-ready television to the cable outlet. Make sure both ends are tight. You must use coax cords with screw on connectors as to not cause RF leaks.
- Reprogram the television (follow the manufacturer’s guide)
- Turn the television on and go to the menu.
- Select “rescan” or “reprogram”. Make sure to select “cable” mode.
- Wait for the scanning to complete. This process can take up to 15 minutes depending on the brand of television.
- When scanning finished, you should see more than 200 digital channels.
Support: What do I do if I’m having a problem with cable services?
If you are not getting all of the channels:
- Verify that you have a digital-ready TV. If not, you may need to purchase new television or converter box.
- If it is a digital television, you may need to reprogram or rescan your box. See instructions above.
- Students needing further assistance with their cable TV should submit a Apartments Maintenance Request or a Res. Hall Maintenance Request.