MSU IT will be upgrading D2L to a new user interface called Daylight on May 11, 2018.
The new interface will bring increased smartphone usability and a modern visual design to D2L.
D2L Daylight Differences
D2L will have a new look and feel that adapts to different screen sizes, providing an improved user experience on laptops, tablets, and smartphones. The interface will also have a wider page layout, new fonts, icons, colors, and simpler formatting.
The core functionality of D2L will NOT be changing, and current courses will automatically display the new look when Daylight is turned on.
D2L Terms Changing
Additionally, some current MSU D2L terms will be changing.
- News is changing to Announcements
- Dropbox is changing to Assignments
- Edit Course is changing to Course Admin
- Pager is changing to Instant Messages
- In Content, New is changing to Upload/Create
- In Content, Add Existing Activities is changing to Existing Activities
What Faculty & Instructors Can Do to Prepare
Between now and May 11, 2018:
- Visit msutest.brightspace.com and log in with your MSU NetID and password.
- Preview and explore the changes with D2L Daylight.
After May 11, 2018:
- Log into d2l.msu.edu and review your courses.
- Report any issues to the MSU IT Service Desk at (517) 432-6200 or email@example.com.
More resources, training videos, and directions for accessing D2L Daylight early are available on the D2l Help: Daylight page. Additionally, periodic D2L Daylight Tips blog posts will be published January through May.
There’s also an upcoming Educational Technology Series presentation, D2L Daylight Town Hall, on January 26 from 12:00 noon-1:00 p.m. in Wells, room D-101.
D2L Daylight Open Houses
MSU IT instructional designers will be on hand during bimonthly D2L Daylight Open House events to answer questions and preview courses in the new interface with faculty and instructors.
Stop by any of the following D2L Open House events in Wells Hall, room B342:
- January 24 (Wednesday): 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- February 8 (Thursday): 10:00 a.m.-12:00 noon
- February 19 (Monday): 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- March 16 (Friday): 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- March 27 (Tuesday): 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- April 11 (Wednesday): 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- April 26 (Thursday): 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- May 4 (Friday): 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- May 9 (Wednesday): 10:00 a.m.-12:00 noon
For D2L questions or to request support from an instructional designer, please contact the MSU IT Service Desk at (517) 432-6200 or firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the online instructional design services request form.