MSU IT Services will go through the process of expiring mail.msu.edu email and AFS storage accounts for past students this spring. This time IT Services will also add past faculty, staff, and affiliates to the expirations.
Official retirees are not included in these account expirations. They will maintain their MSU email and AFS accounts.
All expirations are scheduled to begin on April 30.
On February 11, MSU IT Services sent a separate email to:
- Students who have not been enrolled in a for credit course in two or more years.
- Faculty and staff who have been separated from the university for one or more years (not including official retirees).
- Affiliated individuals whose NetID is not currently sponsored by and billed to an MSU department. This also includes affiliated departmental accounts that aren’t currently being billed.
IT Services encourages those affected to go through their accounts and save or migrate any files they wish to keep before April 30.
Department-sponsored NetIDs and accounts
Faculty or staff who have been separated from the university for one or more years and who are not officially retired from MSU will be on the account expirations list.
If these past faculty, staff, or individuals are still affiliated with a department, the department can sponsor their NetID by paying $1/month for the NetID and accounts to remain active.
Additionally, departmental NetIDs and accounts may be on the accounts expiration list if they aren’t currently being billed. These accounts can also be continued with a sponsored NetID and by paying $1/month.
For no interruption in service, an MSU account number must be provided before April 30 using this online form. (If you already have a NetID, you won’t need to fill in second and third choices on that form.)
Help and support
If anyone thinks their accounts should not be deactivated, or if they need additional help in migrating or saving your files, contact MSU IT Services Support at (517) 432-6200 or submit the help contact form.
- Using Outside Mail Services for POP3 Access to MSU Mail
- Mail.msu.edu: Mail Client Configuration: All Supported Clients
- AFS: Accessing your AFS Space
Further information about the MSU email and AFS space deactivation process is also available.